learn more about FPAC

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Congrats to Joanne Kaliontzis!


Joanne's art piece in the FPAC Group Show at 300 Summer Street, was selected by curator Randi Hopkins for the ICA Curator's Award of Excellence 2010~

The opening reception for the FPAC Group Show is Tomorrow, October 14th 5:30-8:00pm.



"This piece is called "Coy" ---although it is really a Koi.
It is a digital collage created from a Japanese kite fish.
My images usually begin by inspiration of a printed piece. I attribute this
to my background as a graphic designer. In the case of Coy as in most of
my digital collage pieces, I begin by scanning in the source material
into the computer. Then through a series of digital layering experiments
with Adobe Photoshop I reconstruct a new composition. Then make a print.
For many of my images, this is just the first step.
I like to embellish the image with pigments, mica powder, or even glitter.
Sometimes I may deface the print with scratches or sand paper.
(I began to do this mostly to escape the criticism of my work being "just a print.")
The prints are usually mounted on a board and finished on with multiple layers of acrylic varnish.
Recently I have begun to experiment with printed, patterned, and metallic
papers that I prepare with a digital ground... Still experimenting." ~Kaliontzis

No comments:

Post a Comment